Well, it is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and I have probably had this for a while. Since I was 16 I have always had cysts on my ovaries or tubes, one getting in the 7 cm range requiring surgery.
I have been going to the gym since January 3-5 days a week, and eating LOTS better as well, only have have GAINED 2 lbs. Since October I noticed I have been packing on the pounds and thought I would do something about it in January. Usually when I start going to the gym and watching what I eat, eating cleaner, etc the weight starts coming off. Well, not this time. I have been a mess about it too.
My face has been like a 17 year going through puberty, I have hair on my face - THANK YOU JESUS I have blonde hair, and just generally feeling off. So, I went to see my doctor.
After 6 vials of blood and many ultrasounds later, we know what is going on.
I have PCOS, something going on with my thyroid (a nodule that is too small to biopsy - so we will monitor over next 3-6 months and then annually), cholesterol levels out of whack and possible issue with my gallbladder. Going Monday morning to have a HIDA scan done for that.
These are the symptoms of PCOS just in case you were wondering what the heck it is:
- irregular or no menstrual periods or heavy periods
- obesity/weight gain/inability to lose weight
- breathing problems while sleeping
- oily skin
- skin discolorations
- high cholesterol levels
- elevated blood pressure
- excess or abnormal hair growth and distribution
- pain in the lower abdomen and pelvis
- multiple ovarian cysts
- skin tags
I have thought about it, and I am ok with it. There are fertility treatments available if I want to go that route, but again, if it is meant to be it will happen.
Here are the treatment plans for PCOS:
- Insulin Sensitizers: Metformin (Glucophage), Glitazones (Rosiglitazone/Avandia, Pioglitazone/Actos)
- Anti-Androgens: Spironolactone (Aldactone), Cyproterone acetate, Flutamide (Eulexin), Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar)
- Anti-Obesity Drugs: Orlistat (Xenical), Sibutramine (Meridia)
- Fertility agents: Clomiphene citrate (Clomid, Serophene), Gonadotropin injections, hCG (human choriuionic goinadotropin), GnRH Lutrepulse
- Pregnancy: IVF (in-vitro fertilization)
- Steroid hormones: Oral contraceptives (birth control pills), Progesterone (bioidentical), Estrogens, and Corticosteroids
- Surgery: Ovarian drilling, Oophorectomy and hysterectomy
With my weight being about 8 lbs away from the highest weight in my life, and all the other symptoms I KNEW I wasn't crazy and so grateful I listened to my body and went to see the doctor. I wont even tell you how bad out of whack my hormones are. We will be monitoring all of this and HOPEFULLY before long I will shed AT LEAST 20-30 pounds off this frame.
Just wanted to post this as it seems this is more common than I thought, and if I can tell just one person to check it out if they have some of these symptoms, then so be it! Ladies, LISTEN to your bodies. If you feel like something is off.... it probably is.
I am one of those people that go to the doctor MAYBE once a year. SO glad I went this time, and my doctor listened to me.
Hope everyone is doing well. If you have any questions, let me know ;)